Pure Dance Works Dress Code
All dance classes have a required dress code. All required items are stocked at the studio for your convenience.
Dress Code Click Here To View Dress Code Requirements By Class For Weekly Classes
How important is a dress code in dance class?
In addition to saving dance parents time and money, the dress code:
1) Helps a young dancer understand they are going to a structured class (compared to unstructured playtime).
2) Unifies dancers, helping them to understand that they are part of something bigger than themselves.
3) Ensures that the clothing is not a distraction during class.
4) Ensures that the dancer is appropriately dressed to be necessarily covered.
5) Ensures that each dancer has the same style and color of shoes and tights for stage performances.
The PDW Dress Code is mandatory; however, occasionally dancers will be rewarded with days when they may wear whatever they choose to class.
A LA CARTE CLASSES - Dress code is required, but more relaxed than Weekly Classes:
A la carte classes include the Little Dancer Series and Dance! Sing! Act! Camp
- Any leotard, tights and dance shoes appropriate for the style of dance may be worn.
- Shoes must be leather or canvas (no satiny bedtime / dress-up ballet slippers please :).
- Dance! Sing! Act! Camp students may wear comfortable, easy to move in, modest clothing and sneakers or soft any dance shoes. Dancewear is acceptable, but not required.
Kindermusik students do not have a specific dress code. Students and caregivers should wear easy to move in, comfortable clothing and socks.
Personal Items (All Classes)
- Only small piercings are acceptable in class. No other jewelry is allowed for safety.
- Hair always needs to be in a bun for ballet for ages 5+; all other classes may have a bun, pony tail or braid(s)....as long as all hair is secured off the face and neck. No extravagant hair accessories, please.
- No underwear or bras that show, please. Traditionally, a leotard is worn without underwear or bras, like a swimsuit (even pre-schoolers). If desired, we advise dancers to wear nude dance briefs. Most leotards are supportive enough that a bra is not needed underneath. If you do require a bra under a leotard, a nude dance bra is your best bet. Bras of any type may not show.
- Students wearing a leotard must wear tights, pants, or close fitting shorts too for modesty's sake.
- Warm ups such as leg warmers and sweaters may be worn to and from class, but must be removed after the warm up portion of class is over.
- Dance shoes should never be worn outside.
Email any apparel questions to email@example.com.