Please scroll to the bottom for "where to buy" suggestions.
Girls: Leotard, Pink Tights, & Pink Ballet Shoes (Ballet & Musical Theater), Black Tap Shoes/buckle closure preferred (Tap)
- Leotard: Any style and color of your choice. Must be a dance leotard with a "swimsuit" cut leg, no shorts please. Attached or pull on skirts are optional.
- Pink Dance Tights: Unlike pantyhose or regular tights, dance tights do not have a horizontal line across the thigh.
- Please encourage dancers to allow their tights to function as their underpants. Help dancers understand this by pointing out that they never wear underwear with their bathing suit; it would look funny. If it is a real struggle to forego the underpants, please be sure they are of a cut that do not show. Pull ups may be worn as necessary.
- Pink ballet shoes: Leather or canvas, full sole or split sole.
- Please do not purchase ballet shoes at big box retail stores.They are not appropriate or safe for dance class. Though they are labeled "ballet slippers," or "ballet shoes," they are NOT true ballet shoes...they are bed time or dressup slippers designed to look like satin ballet shoes.
- Please do not allow dancers to wear their ballet shoes outside.
- Black tap shoes: Any beginner tap shoe is appropriate. The preference is for shoes with buckles rather than ties. This keeps us dancing instead of stopping to tie shoes during class. If you have tap shoes w/ ties, please replace the tie with an piece of black elastic (you will need to sew it in place, being sure it is loose enough to slip on and off easily, but tight enough to stay on securely.
- Hair: Bun (preferred if long enough) or pony tail with bangs and short hair secured off face.
- Jewelry: Please leave it at home. Thanks! (Small earrings are okay.)
Boys: Solid Colored T-Shirt, Black Shorts or Sweats, White Socks, & Black Ballet Shoes (Ballet and Musical Theater) or Black Tap Shoes (Tap)
- Please do not allow dancers to wear their dance shoes outside. Thank you.
Where to purchase dance wear: Locally:
- Standing Ovation -The dance wear store in Fort Wayne - behind Chuck E. Cheese on Coliseum Boulevard. They stock everything a dancer could need. It is highly recommended that you have your child fitted for shoes at Standing Ovation.
- Stores such as Target, Wal-Mart & K-Mart - Leotards and dance tights are available at these stores. Please see note about shoes under Girls' Dress Code above. Do not buy shoes at these stores.
- Many online discount shops exist, including Discount Dance Supply. Please click the orange star below to go to the Discount Dance Supply website.
You will earn 10% off your first order and 5% off all subsequent orders by clicking through orange star above. By clicking this link, you will automatically be using Teacher Referral ID TP46101. You can also enter the Teacher Referral ID on the Discount Dance Supply website.
Dance Wear Share Donation Box:
- A used dance wear box is kept at the studio in the closet. Outgrown dance wear may be donated to the box, and anyone who has a current need of any item(s) in the box for their children's personal use is free to take what they need. Please ask if you do not see the box and your child's teacher will be happy to get it for you.